This is a small thing, but can make the difference between a believable story or not. When your characters come on
stage, readers want to know what they look like. What they are wearing, including shoes, jewelry, dresses, suits–whatever. Give a quick description and be done with it. Do be sure, though, if your female character has boots on, don’t have her feet wet from a puddle.
Note: These are in no particular order, pretty much how I discovered them and wrote them down:
- Wore martial arts slippers
- Collar of his greatcoat
- Poor taste in clothes
- Top button of his shirt was undone, exposing his undershirt
- Middle-aged, wavy-haired brunette packed tightly into a peacock-blue knockoff Chanel suit.
- He wore a yellow-and-blue window-pane shirt, a big-knotted red tie of gleaming silk brocade, leather knit suspenders.
- Round spectacles tinted pink
- Wearing tan slacks and a powder-blue golf shirt, a thick gold chain around his neck. He chewed gum.
- The driver was a big guy, wearing a steel-gray suit, wine-colored necktie and sunglasses.
- Wore a rumpled suit and a tie that wasn’t knotted properly
- He was not a man who wore suits well
- Wore a faded gray David Lynch Rules sweatshirt, wrinkled cargo pants, high lace-up boots
- Tight beige cotton pants and a loose cotton shirt striped with shades of blue and pink and red. No panty line.
- His khaki shirt wet with spots of perspiration around his collar and under his arms
- Dark blue tie, plain gold cufflinks and a pair of black lace-up Derby shoes.
- Tweed jacket, coat
- Tight sleeveless tunic over crop pants
- Despite that, and the ugliest Aloha shirt I’d ever seen
- With their beaded purses and gem-studded slippers, their arched eyebrows and raccoon eyes
- Dust-streaked plaid shirt and faded Levis
- Graying heavyset man with wire-rimmed glasses
- His tshirt contoured around his body like wet kleenex
- Sturdy, compact body, neatly dressed in a pressed suit, shined shoes and perfectly rolled-up sleeves
- Tan jacket. Brown pants, black shoes, a groove in his forehead from a hat now resting on his lap.
- Cheap sports coat he might have stolen from a used care salesman
- Power suits, this morning a dark blue worsted
- Wore an ill-fitting gray suit over a pale blue shirt and a 1980’s navy blue tie. Taking fashion direction from NYPD Blue
For more descriptors for characters and settings, click here.