Jeff Bezos, Amazon.com founder and CEO, reported there are 6 Kindles sold for every 10 physical books.I’m not surprised. Jeff has done a great job of making it easy for us-all to read the thousands of ebooks available on Amazon. You can read Kindle ebooks on your smart phone, iPad–there’s even a Kindle reading app for your PC or Mac. In fact, the newest Kindle includes all of the below:
- 50% better contrast which means you can read in bright sunlight – no glare
- 21% smaller body while keeping the same 6″ size reading area
- 17% Lighter – Only 8.5 ounces, weighs less than a paperback
- A single battery charge lasts up to one month with wireless off
- stores up to 3,500 books
- built-In Wi-Fi
- 20% faster page turns
- PDF Reader
- real page numbers
- text-to-speech–Kindle can read English-language content out loud to you
There are lots of reasons why a reader might choose an ereader over a traditional book:
- they are more affordable
- they are more portable. You can always have a book with you.
- they are more varied. Lots of new and exciting authors are publishing books who wouldn’t have been able to using the traditional model.
- more people are inspired to read by this 21st century approach to what’s been around since the 15th century’s Gutenberg Press
These are all anecdotal reasons. If you use a Kindle or Nook or any of the other ereaders, why did you join the revolution?