Natural Selection is Book 3 of my trilogy, Dawn of Humanity:
A historical thriller in the spirit of Jean Auel, Dawn of Humanity follows a band of early humans as they struggle to survive in a world where Nature is King, where they are prey not predators.
Lucy’s tribe includes an eclectic mix of species–a Canis, a Homotherium (oops, spoiler), and different iterations of early man. More will join and some will die but that is the nature of prehistoric life, when survival depends on a combination of man’s developing intellect and inexhaustible will to live. Each species brings unique skills to the task they must complete. Based on true events.
Tagline for Book 3:
New tribe members, intimidating changes, and an unexpected end
Note: If you subscribe to my newsletter, you may already have received some of the information below.
Here’s what I did the past month:
- Finally I had a good month writing. I found almost 1000 ‘ould’s’ in my story. That’s words like should, would, could that weaken a story and sap its energy. Once I started to clean those out, my entire story felt better.
- I also cleaned out ‘she’, ‘was/were’, ‘look’, ‘-ly’, ‘-thing’, ‘then’, and more.
- Working through these words–what did I really mean by ‘was’ and ‘then’–tightened up the scenes, made them more dramatic and interesting at the same time.
- I changed my mind on the cover. Here are both:
I ordered the first and now–three months later–like the second better. Not sure how I change it because I’ve already taken possession of the original. I’ll be chatting with the cover folks.
- I’m looking into Amazon Plus content. Anyone doing that yet? Is it complicated?
- I have a long list of stuff to do once the book is with Anneli, for editing (the trailer, updating social media, writing articles for the launch, and more).
How are you doing?
Here’s the sign-up link if the image above doesn’t work:
Jacqui Murray is the author of the popular Man vs. Nature saga, the Rowe-Delamagente thrillers, and the acclaimed Building a Midshipman, the story of her daughter’s journey from high school to United States Naval Academy. She is also the author/editor of over a hundred books on integrating tech into education, adjunct professor of technology in education, blog webmaster, an Amazon Vine Voice, and a freelance journalist on tech ed topics. Look for her next prehistoric fiction, Natural Selection, Spring 2022